Sunday, April 26, 2009

Best of the Worst

At this moment, I fail to remember what it was that fused photography in my or else monotonous life. However, the result is I went out and bought a DSLR.








As a marketing movement to strengthen the users community and spreading the brand awareness, the electronics giant - Sony established an online community "Alphanatics" and as a result, we have a close knit group of users.

What I wanted to highlight in this entry is that they hold mini competitions monthly and the prize - a flash unit goes to the winner. Not shabby at all considering that it costs RM750 for a brand new one.


Yours truly happened to participate and actually win on the first attempt. I attribute this much to the grace of Lady Luck. The theme for the month was "In The Hood". I do not know how you would interpret it but the image of a graffiti laden background came to mind. So, fate had it that I chanced upon a suitable venue in USJ Taipan itself way before I learned of the competition, how convenient!








Anyway, I had to check the place out before the actual shooting but it had to rain. So much for the reconnaissance, I took some shots from within the car then returned home.Yes, I drove to the place in lieu of the weight of the equipments. The next day, I returned and had the best weather I could have. After many many rounds of setting adjustments - running - posing - "chimping" (check the photographic outcome on camera), I selected a few that I thought would make the best one out of the entire pile.

Here are two of them.




.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.





And here is the winning shot.









Normally, I'd be quite glad (anyhow I was later on) about winning something but apparently, the winning shot was apparently the "best of the worst" in the words of the judge. That dismayed me a bit but on the plus side, there were also constructive comments from him so I learned.

Sometimes, I think that being the best of the worst is not that awful...you just have to do better than everyone else in that moment and I find that sensible. Anyhow, I enjoyed the reward by selling it and upgrading to the flagship flash unit so here's one glamour shot of it.








P/S:


1) Those graffiti were painted over about two days later. Lucky for me indeed.


2) Please leave a remark "Your B&W photos SUCK because it is more like BLACK photos!!!" if the B&W photos appear too dark. Thank you very muchee.


DwaY

6 comments:

Jason Ting said...

I quite like the idea of the winning picture actually. I would have just taken the graffit but the hoodie and also the can of spray paint put it into context.

Too bad you chopped off the roof of the building. Haha

Wen | Way said...

Jason: Hey, good to have you drop by and appreciate your thoughts...attention to detail is to be expected of you eh? hehe.

The judge added that the sky was blown out/detail-less and he'd like the subject to be nearer to the camera too.

Jason Ting said...

Haha. That is when the cokins will come into play. Haha. Once day shall introduce that to you.

Wen | Way said...

Jason: Aih...spend money again ar? LoL

stephers said...

What's cokins?

Anyway, glad you FINALLY posted this! ;)

Congrats again yo!!

Wen | Way said...

Steph: Cokins = Some accessories that takes money away from me, hehe. I believe it is a type of filter to get prevent skies from being overexposed in a photo.
Nah, its just a small competition...but thank you.